Wednesday, March 24, 2010

How About Some Fountains?

I thought tonight I would show you a place I have been that I know you would very much enjoy. I know how much you love fountains like that at the Transco Tower. I don't know what they call it now that Transco no longer owns the building, but I remember your face every time you've seen it. One of my favorite photos is the photo Poppa took of you one time he took you there.

The summer before you were born, I traveled to Japan with Gumby. We were in Tokyo and I walked all over the city exploring the entire town. When I wasn't walking, I took the subway--which you would also love. One day, though, Gumby took me to see some fountains. They are located just outside the Imperial Gardens and were built in 1961, I think, as a celebration of the marriage of the Emperor and Empress. More was added in 1995. They don't look the same all the time, the fountains change over time and they are all sequentially timed. I sat there for over an hour watching them change. If you go back at night, there are lights that come on as well. Here are some more pictures:




I think you'd love going there. And I've secretly been admiring this next one. I don't have any proof that it really exists, but I came across this photo in an add in the fall of 2008 and if it weren't so dangerous to travel in the middle east (and expensive) I'd like to go there. For now, we'll have to use our imaginations. Here is was is purported to be the world's largest fountain:




No comments:

Post a Comment